Thursday, August 31, 2017

Why?

I want to be healthy.  What does that even mean?  Who does NOT want to be healthy?  Don't we all want that?  Saying I want to be healthy is like saying I like blue.  While it is a lovely color, it doesn't really mean anything.  So what?  Go Deeper.

My kids like it when I participate.  They like when mom and/or dad takes a turn at bat and runs the bases.  They like when we play the outfield (you know, the yard).  My husband coaches both boys soccer teams.  He's out there showing drills and teaching them skills.  I usually sit on the sidelines with the other mothers.  Not anymore.  I'm still not on the field playing soccer, but I'm on the other side of the school, walking/jogging on the track.  I'm trying to get to a place where I have the stamina to play.  I want to be able to participate without feeling like I might pass out.

Seeing everyone post their workouts and their eating makes me feel like I'm not taking this seriously enough.  I've been doing some sort of workout pretty regularly and walking at least two miles each day.  I sort of naively thought the weight would just melt off.  My eating didn't seem that bad.  Well, it apparently is not that good either.  Perhaps I need to make some adjustments somewhere.  I promise to check in next week with a nutrition/dietician type of person.  School started this week and I was up to my eyeballs in lunches, snacks, instruments, teacher notes, sports, scouts, friends and laundry (always laundry).  Anyway, I will find someone next week.  It's on my list. 

Growing up we ate some sort of meat, some sort of potato or rice and some vegetable.  Always milk to drink.  It was fine, but no one ever taught me how to cook.  So now I struggle with knowing what to do.  I have to have a recipe.  I can't really wing it unless it's saying "we're going out".  I've been doing pretty good with the recipes, but I need to see if I can get them to be more veggie friendly and less starch and sugar.  I'm not even sure what I'm talking about.  I really want the kids to learn to eat a rainbow and I'm not talking Skittles here.  I want them to think eating salad is normal, not torture.  Maybe they could even enjoy cooking.  

I'm so jealous of the meals I see posted.  I wish I understood half of it.  Someone mentioned eating Macros and the only macro I knew of was related to Excel.

Will I never eat a donut again?  What about cake?  What about regular pizza?  Is it all over?  Is that OK?  Will I some day get to a point where eating clean and healthy is not a thing, it's just normal?

No comments: