Friday, October 20, 2006

Oh, The Drama

So. The call was made, the doctor was seen, symptoms were spoken, suggestions were offered, blood was drawn, medication was prescribed and follow ups were scheduled. I'm not better, but it seems I've just landed on the Wicked Witch and found the Yellow Brick Road. In other words, I've taken the first step towards feeling better. I could use some of that now.

Peanut is scheduled to have his 'friend' birthday party tomorrow. It may not happen. Husband got sick last night around 3 am and hasn't felt better yet. I really don't want to cancel the party, but there is a lot to do and I don't want to do it by myself. Most important I want husband to be well and for us all to have fun. Unless he is cured overnight I don't see that happening.

I had a mini breakdown last night. We went to have Peanuts 1 year photos taken as well as a family photo. Now the place I've been going has taken great pictures, but the customer service is far below par. I made the appt. for 5:40 pm. Peanut had a doctor appt. earlier and husband just took the rest of the day off. So I called the picture place about an hour before the appt. and they were "on schedule". So when we get there ten minutes before our appt. I asked again and was told they were "a little behind, but we'll have you in on time". Thirty minutes pass. Thirty. 30. I am mad. They are so disorganized I want to start ringing customers up myself just to get things moving. They stand around and then act surprised that it's busy. We walked out. It was dinner time and I thought Peanut would be hungry and we were all hungry so we walked out. Then I cried.

I've been wanting to have this done for many, many months. I agonized for two days over what we should wear so we all match. I even went shopping the morning of the pictures to get better matching clothes. I showered, dried and curled my hair. The day was busy with trying to plan the birthday party, get new clothes, go to the doctor and then to the mall. The disappointment I felt ran so deep. Why oh why was it so difficult to get a picture taken? Why can't they just be honest and say it will be an hour wait? Why do I put up with it?

The food court was on the opposite end of the mall and once we left we headed that way. I was mad. I wanted nothing more than to knock over all their tidy little displays. I wanted to scream and make them suffer in some way so they knew they had done something wrong. That's what got me, they don't and won't ever care about losing one person. Heck, I lightened their load. It only mattered to me and I was suffering.

I lost my appetite. I wanted to go home. I threw down my bags and started to cry. Husband told me to calm down. Let’s go eat, he said. I didn’t want to be calm. I didn’t want to eat. I wanted to scream and shout and have things feel less awful. I wanted to be comforted and told we’d get it fixed and they were (insert bad words here) for being so mean to me. It felt like a really big deal to me and only me. I wanted to know it mattered to him too. Logically, I know we can go somewhere else and get a picture taken, but that’s where I had gone every month since Peanut was born. That’s the package I’m used to and wanted. That’s what I expected and when it didn’t happen I could not cope. Husband could only tell me to eat. I was livid. I did not want to eat. I just wanted to go home so I could cry somewhere other than at the Mall.

Now we have to pick a new place, find a day we can go, get showered and fixed up, get on the matching clothes and hope it all goes ok. Any suggestions for a good photo place?

If you suggest the place with initials and change in the name I think I’ll scream.

No comments: