Friday, September 22, 2006

Calling Richard Simmons

I have good intentions. Don't we all? A few ladies in my online mom group wanted to start a fitness group. I wasn't sure if they were totally serious or not, but decided to extend my hand and try to be active in the group. So I started a fitness group. Just an online Yahoo group with thoughts that it could turn into something bigger. Now I kind of wish I hadn't started it.

Some women think weighing 110 lbs. will make them the happiest on Earth. They don't realize that it isn't a realistic goal. How to I sway them when all they can think of is how many pounds they can lose? Their goals should be to eat healthier, to exercise more, to just get moving. Don't sweat the numbers. The clothes will start to fit better and the exercises will get easier.

I'm the creator of the group and therefore 'in charge'. They keep suggesting things that I don't know what are. One gal suggested we have challenges. What does that mean? You want to come over and we see who can lift more? Who cares? That doesn't mean one person is better or any more fit. I suggested personal challenges and rewards/punishments for achieving them. They didn't like that. They wanted to see who could do the most push ups. That's fabulous. What's my motivation to win?

Maybe I'm expecting too much. I guess I want to be the trainer and tell them what to do, but that is not what I created. I just made a forum for women to discuss and encourage fitness. I just wish we could do that instead of push up challenges. On the other hand I did suggest we all state official goals so we knew what we were working toward and would know when we got there. A couple of them did this, but it was mostly "I want to weigh xxx by Christmas". I'm not sure they can do that. Some of them probably are at a healthy weight, but have more fat then muscle. If they work out they will lose the fat and gain muscle. They may weigh the same, but be smaller. Oh well.

I'm going to try to stay positive and see where this leads. It would be wonderful if more people would join. Yahoo/groups/kcsahmfitness then log in.

No comments: