Thursday, January 03, 2008

Night Night

Tuesday, the boy did not nap in his bed so husband took him for a drive and he slept in the car. Tuesday night I put the boy down for bed. Actually, I never got that far. He was wound up and wiggly while we were reading books. I couldn't get him to calm down to go to bed. He got up and husband came in and sort of took over. I left. Thirty minutes later I went back because husband was done. After another hour or so of putting him back in bed, sitting with him, talking to him and whatnot I decided we needed a new approach. We are the parents. We make the rules. The first rule is you go to bed at bedtime. The second rule is you stay in bed. The third rule is if you get out of bed, you will go back to bed immediately. Fourth rule is no one will snuggle, cuddle, pat, rub, talk, kiss or in any way contact you other than to put you back to bed (there are a few exceptions to this rule, but I'm not going into them now). Peanut finally went to sleep around 9:45.

Wednesday he went to daycare and took a two hour nap. Husband put him to bed and there were lots of tears on both sides. He eventually made it to bed and went to sleep around 9:30. Progress, little as it may be.

Today he woke up early and was very tired all morning. We went to the store to walk around and burn off some energy. He could barely make it through lunch. We went up shortly after that and read several books. He went to bed on his own and I kissed and hugged him and left. He sat up and talked for just a couple minutes, but then flopped down and went to sleep. He slept about an hour and a half, though I'm not entirely sure since I was asleep too.

Tonight he did well. We did the normal routine and even had special (Spider man) pajamas to wear. After reading the last book he wanted to read more, but I said no. I did agree to tell him a short one if he got in bed. He went to bed and I recited the shortest story I know, kissed and hugged him and left. He got out of bed several times, but I only had to stick my head in the room and he climbed back into bed. Soon enough he was out. As far as I can tell he was asleep by 8:15. I'm keeping my ears peeled because I just don't believe he could really be done this early. I'm hopeful, but realistic.

We don't yell, get frustrated, scream, spank, punch walls, kick things or anything else. We love him and put him to bed with love and then don't say a word. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Karaoke Diva said...

The second half of your first paragraph is exactly right. The rule in our house that at nap time or bed time, you stay in the bed. I don't care if you sit up, but you do not get out of the bed. This seems to work for us.

Would it be useful to put a baby gate in his doorway? That's what we do with Gavin because we are afraid of him running around the house while we're sleeping.